The midcycle refresh i30s will see new connectivity features, mild-hybrid drivetrain and sporty N Line variants
After pouring details of its upcoming new i20 B-segment hatchback, Hyundai has released new details of the midlife refreshed i30 C-segment line of models ahead of the 2020 Geneva Motor Show. Like the i20, the 2020 Hyundai i30 will feature a new design, connectivity features and offer an electrified 48-volt mild-hybrid drivetrain.
The updated styling features a wider grille, slimmer headlamps with optional multifaceted reflector (MFR) LED technology with the V-shaped signature LED daytime running lights. Likewise, at the rear, the refreshed i50 5-door’s rear LED combination lamps features a similar lighting signature. To complement the new design, the i30 comes with redesigned 16- and 17-inch alloy wheels.
Along with the update, the refreshed Hyundai i30 will come with an N Line version for all three body styles. The N Line features involve cosmetics and mechanical upgrades. The N Line cars are recognisable with the gloss-black grille and a larger lower central grille. While the side opening feature floating wings which is said to improve aerodynamic performance. For the fastback body, the N Line treatment involves in the repositioning of the rear foglamp.
To top things off for the i30 N Line cars will receive new 17- and 18-inch wheel designs. Mechanically, the i30 N Line Hatchback and Fastback bodies feature suspension and steering tuning updates to match the 158 bhp turbocharged 1.5-litre T-GDi petrol engine and the 134 bhp 1.6-litre Diesel engine in range-topping models.
The refreshed 2020 Hyundai i30 will come with four updated petrol and two diesel powertrains:
- 108 bhp 1.5-litre petrol engine with Dual Port Injection with 6-speed manual transmission.
- 118 bhp 1.0-litre T-GDi petrol engine with a new 7-speed dual-clutch transmission or 6-speed manual transmission.
- 118 bhp 1.0-litre T-GDi petrol engine with optional 48-volt mild-hybrid and a 6-speed Intelligent Manual Transmission or 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.
- 158 bhp 1.5-litre T-GDi petrol engine with standard 48-volt mild-hybrid and a 6-speed Intelligent Manual Transmission or 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.
- 113 bhp 1.6-litre diesel engine with 6-speed manual transmission or 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.
- 134 bhp 1.6-litre diesel engine with standard 48-volt mild-hybrid with 6-speed manual transmission or 7-speed dual-clutch transmission.
iMT or Intelligent Manual Transmission decouples the gearbox from the engine after the driver releases the accelerator. The manual gearbox enables two levels of coasting depending on the driving condition. The first leaves the engine on idle, while the second turns the engine off temporarily as a fuel-saving strategy.
The midcycle refresh i30 will also get updates on the infotainment and connectivity front. Taking centre stage in the i30’s lightly updated interior is a new 7-inch digital cluster and new 10.25-inch navigation touchscreen. The infotainment system fully compatible with Android Auto and Apple Car Play, as well as wireless phone charging. While wireless phone mirroring will be introduced in summer this year.
Moreover, the upcoming new i30s will come with Hyundai’s Bluelink technology, which offers a wide range of Connected Car Services such as live information and control of the car via the app. Customers who opt for the service will receive a 5-year free subscription to Bluelink and Hyundai LIVE services.
In terms of safety features, the new i30 will come with the Hyundai SmartSense safety package which includes:
- [New] Lane Following Assist (LFA)
- [New] Rear Collision-avoidance Assist (RCA)
- [New] Leading vehicle Departure Alert (LVDA)
- [New] Blind-Spot Collision-Avoidance Assist (BCA)
- Front Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA) with pedestrian detection and [New] bicycle detection
- Driver Attention Warning (DAW)
- High Beam Assist (HBA)
- Intelligent Speed Limit Warning (ISLW)
- Lane Keeping Assist (LKA)
Also new to the i3 is the eCall feature, which automatically contacts emergency services in the event that the airbag sensors are triggered.