Mercedes-Benz is the other big winner with five awards
The Peugeot 3008 1.6 Active compact crossover was named Malaysia Car of the Year (COTY) 2018 at an awards ceremony organised by the Malaysia Automotive Institute (MAI) and officiated by Minister of International Trade and Industry (MITI), Datuk Darell Leiking.
The event also conferred the first COTY Lifetime Automotive Award with this year’s recipient being the Prime Minister YAB Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad.
President of the Malaysia Automotive Association, Datuk Aishah Ahmad was honoured as 2018’s Automotive Personality of the Year, for her years of contribution as a prominent leading voice towards the development of the Malaysian automotive industry.
Special mention awards went to BMW as the best-selling plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) brand and Honda as the best-selling hybrid brand in Malaysia. Mazda also received a special mention award as a top export brand from Malaysia.
It was also announced that MAI would be renamed the Malaysia Automotive, Robotics and IoT Institute (MARii) with an expansion of the scope of the MITI agency as the focal point to act as a coordinating centre and think tank for the automotive industry and overall mobility, including intelligent transportation system and related services through adoption of Robotics and the Internet of Things (IoT).
The Peugeot 3008 1.6 Active also won the Compact Crossover of the Year and Good Design Awards.
The other big winner of the evening was Mercedes-Benz. The German luxury marque took home five awards:
- Premium Crossover of the Year (GLC200)
- Premium SUV of the Year (GLC43 AMG)
- Executive Sedan of the Year (C200 AMG)
- Premium Sedan of the Year (C43 AMG)
- Limousine of the Year (S450L AMG)
The list of the other Winners is as follows:
- Entry Level Car of the Year — Perodua Myvi 1.5
- Hot Hatch of the Year — Volkswagen Golf 2.0 GTi (Facelift)
- Pick-up Truck of the Year (Twin Cab) – Ford Ranger 2.2 WildTrak
- Compact Crossover of the Year — Peugeot 3008 1.6 Active
- Mid-size Crossover of the Year – Mazda CX-5 2.2 GLS SkyActiv-D 2WD
- MPV of the Year (Below RM200,000) – Kia Grand Carnival 2.2D SX
- MPV of the Year (Above RM200,000) – Toyota Alphard 3.5
- Entry Level SUV of the Year – Subaru XV 2.0i-P AWD
- Mid-size SUV of the Year – Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 4WD
- Mid-size Premium SUV of the Year – Volvo XC60 T8 Inscription
Yamin Vong was Chairman of the judging panel of nine comprising professionals and enthusiasts from various industries, including automotive experts, motoring editors and business journalists.
Nominees for the Malaysia COTY Awards were judged based on the following criteria:
- coherence of exterior (stance, proportion) and interior design (ergonomics, comfort, space);
- technical specifications and engineering innovations that match the vehicle’s fitness for purpose, enhance the user experience of both the driver and passengers or advance the evolution of the automobile in some way;
- safety features (passive and active safety aids) and ratings;
- energy efficiency and environmental friendliness; and
- value based not on just the lowest purchase price but the best overall value for money.
Malaysia Autoshow 2019 dates announced at COTY
The Malaysia Autoshow 2019 will be held at the Malaysia Agro Exposition Park Sepang (MAEPS) from 11 to 14 April 2019, with the theme “Mobility for All”.